the results are in!
First, a big thank you to everyone who submitted and a huge hug to a good friend of mine who made the graphs.
Second, I’m putting all the disclaimer and explanation stuff at the bottom so we can skip onto the results for now.
Average Salaries by position:
Senior Assistant: $35,282
Associate Manager: $49,486
Senior Editor/Manager: $54,717
First graph - Average incomes across the 6 traditional department divisions (Editorial, Marketing, Production, Publicity, Rights and Sales)
Second graph - Median Incomes across the 6 traditional department divisions
Third graph - All data
Check out this GlassDoor data on this exact topic in which they did exactly what I did but in a way more legitimate manner.
1) Organizing this data involved a lot of pigeonholing on my part. Everyone submitted pretty specific things and I usually had to shove their answers in what box seemed best. For example, if you submitted that you were a Digital Marketing Assistant at a small scholarly press, I changed that to Marketing Assistant at an Academic publisher because I had to organize everything into general categories to make the data understandable at a glance. To state the obvious: this is not an official poll. This is one person with an English degree using excel. If you want legitimacy, I suggest going to GlassDoor or PW or something.
2) There is a difference between Editorial Assistant and Assistant Editor. To differentiate, I called the latter “Senior Assistants”.
3) I converted all sums into American Dollars because a) It’s easier when all the data is of one kind and b) I’m an American and this is my party.
4) Sincere apologies to the couple people who submitted information on their by-the-hour pay: I couldn’t figure out how to easily add your data to this presentation.
Final word from LifeNPublishing
Again, thank you to everyone who participated—I found this to be very illuminating and I hope you did as well. It appears that generally, publishing salaries range from 30k-50k which is about what I expected. It also appears that generally, pay does not differentiate significantly across geography (the exception being those jobs in non-major cities).
I did want to say a few things to any young people out there: keep in mind what these numbers truly mean. Consider that these numbers are all pre-taxes and that the take-home amount is significantly less. Also take into account how high the rents are in cities such as NYC, London, and San Francisco. It’s tough out here, as these numbers prove. But hey—at least there’s books.
- calleyjace likes this
- wonderhead likes this
- cielrouge likes this
- thesixthborough likes this
- pattayy likes this
- gorgeoussleep likes this
- milenagiunco reblogged this from ashwrites
- abysmal-winner likes this
- sotheresthat likes this
- remarkablethings likes this
- baileyeverywhere likes this
- mar-see-ah likes this
- ohhleary likes this
- whineandbeer reblogged this from whopays and added:
- shadowtruths likes this
- percygranger reblogged this from fandomentanglement
- kfish1012 reblogged this from lifeinpublishing
- jackosghost reblogged this from lifeinpublishing and added:
- mary-journal reblogged this from lifeinpublishing
- -ryan likes this
- the-idea-of-us reblogged this from lifeinpublishing and added:
- ijustwannaopenyoureyes likes this
- 306seine likes this
- worldsofwords reblogged this from lifeinpublishing
- theartofadventure likes this
- sadieawesome likes this
- megmac1988 reblogged this from lifeinpublishing
- lettersfromafutureeditor reblogged this from lifeinpublishing
- thepiratejenny reblogged this from lifeinpublishing and added:
- ronniesbookshelf reblogged this from lifeinpublishing and added:
- sportsnmore1 likes this
- luisageisler likes this
- clap-yourself-a-lullaby likes this
- miscellaneousparis reblogged this from lifeinpublishing
- championofthehellguard reblogged this from fandomentanglement
- fandomentanglement reblogged this from lifeinpublishing
- the-life-of-a-bibliophile reblogged this from lifeinpublishing
- thewhitesharkcafe likes this
- mgtei likes this
- thechauvinist likes this
- everyonelikedbubbahotep likes this
- thepractisingprocrastinator reblogged this from lifeinpublishing
- lchardesty reblogged this from christinafarley
- thoughtsofthegirlwiththecurl reblogged this from lifeinpublishing
- ninalee-cherryambition likes this
- gracebello reblogged this from lifeinpublishing and added:
- readinasinglesitting reblogged this from lifeinpublishing
- lauratheoutlandish likes this
- threatsex likes this
- durnedscribblingwoman reblogged this from lifeinpublishing and added: