listen up reviewers, we need to have a heart to heart.
(Disclaimer: I am just one person with my own opinion—other companies might have different policies.)
First: if you only review on Amazon, Goodreads or LibraryThing than
I’m afraid that NetGalley is not for you; it’s for independent reviewers that have an established following. Repeat for effect: Independent reviewers that have an established following.
Second: Are you happily married to a wonderful man?
Stop putting that in your bio. Does it effect how you review books? No. No, it does not. And honestly, I find it weird that it’s where you get your first sense of identity. The same goes for however many delightful children you have and how they are the light of your life
What that has to do with your ability to review books, I will never know. Also, having a spouse and children does not count as special interests.
Third: realize that unless you are the book editor of the New York Times or some equivalent than you are (probably) a small fish in a large ocean. So, before you write the publisher a ticked off email about how you are shocked that your request was rejected:
Realize that there are publishers who will not even look at your blog unless it has over 10,000 followers. FACT.
Fourth: Remind yourself the purpose of both publishing companies and NetGalley. While yes, publishers exist to spread the magic that is the written word, they are also here to (lowers voice dramatically) make money
So therefore, we don’t particularly want to just give books away like beads off a mardi gras float. We want to sell them to everyone willing to buy them.
Additionally, NetGalley does not exist to get as many free books to as many people as possible. It exists to give legitimate reviewers an easy way to learn about forthcoming books and access them digitally so that they can in turn spread the word and the publisher will get a profitable return from their investment
My point is that you may be a reviewer but, in a lot of cases, it still makes sense for the publisher to try to get you to buy the book, rather than give it to you for free.
Now this is a kind of bitter post, which I don’t usually like to do. Can you tell that I have had to wade through one too many amateur requests? Or that I’ve gotten one too many entitled emails from people DEMANDING to know why I would refuse their request?
Anyway, that’s my rant of the day and I apologize for being harsh. Everyone is a beautiful rainbow puppy in my book and I realize most people have great intentions and have no idea how they come across. SO. Y’all all just come in for a hug now
- thecursedrue likes this
- enowak82 likes this
- fapolito likes this
- rifflemystery likes this
- subjected-verbs likes this
- edfortune reblogged this from lifeinpublishing
- lifeinbookjournalism likes this
- peterwknox likes this
- kyrauff reblogged this from lifeinpublishing
- anisetwigbelly likes this
- hummingbirding likes this
- ruthbradstreet likes this
- cumelot likes this
- sartorialing reblogged this from lifeinpublishing and added:
- jenuinecupcakes likes this
- exlibriskate reblogged this from lifeinpublishing and added:
- thefixation reblogged this from lifeinpublishing and added:
- audryt reblogged this from lifeinpublishing and added:
- justinaireland likes this
- lolbev likes this
- alicebooksetc reblogged this from lifeinpublishing and added:
- thewalrus-said likes this
- scribbles-and-wanderlust likes this
- secretinspirationsource reblogged this from lifeinpublishing
- jillcorcoran reblogged this from lifeinpublishing
- bewarethealpacalypse likes this
- novaren likes this
- jessi278 likes this
- amyloosemore reblogged this from lifeinpublishing and added:
- eva-lee reblogged this from elsiechapmanauthor and added:
- elloellenoh reblogged this from lifeinpublishing and added:
- elloellenoh likes this
- maryelizabethsummer likes this
- thingspeopleasklibrarians likes this
- superchristina reblogged this from lifeinpublishing and added:
- royjay likes this
- deadwhiteguysetc likes this
- rebeccaschinsky likes this
- em-chen likes this
- christinaxlr8 likes this
- bethgissinger likes this
- getlostinfic likes this
- getlostinfic reblogged this from lifeinpublishing and added:
- joebfoster likes this
- writersprocrastinate likes this
- callbrichaotic likes this
- lifeinpublishing posted this